Sunday, March 13, 2011

DEATH WITH DIGNITY!

Seattle, WA, March 13, 2011, Rainy and cool.

Yesterday my brother Tom went home to be with the Lord. It is one thing to live well, it is equally important to die well. Allow me to share the day with you. I awoke around 4:30 am  to finalize the liturgy that we were going to use at a service just prior to removal of heroic life support measures. Our daughter Hanna came out shortly after that and we collaborated on music and the order of service. I have to have infusions in the morning, along with tests for blood sugar, an insulin shot, and a fist full of pills. Getting all of those things coordinated and something for breakfast took up much of the morning. We weren't scheduled to go to Harborview until around 2 pm, but some complications with visitors and Tom's deteriorating condition caused us to get there closer to 1 pm. We had copied the "Family Service for Tom Peterson" so everyone present could participate. When we got to Tom's room, he was essentially in the same condition as the day before. His nurse advised us to go ahead with our worship time, because he didn't believe Tom would linger very long after removal of the ventilator tube; he underestimated the strength of the Peterson heart.

Gathered in a circle around his bed, we went through the liturgy interspersed with songs like: "Precious Lord, Take my Hand, lead me on, help me stand, I am tired, I am weak, I am worn. Through the storm, through the night, lead me on, to the light, Take my hand, precious Lord, and lead me home.   When my way grows drear, precious Lord, linger near, When my life is almost gone, Hear my cry, hear my call, Hold my hand, lest I fall, Take my hand, precious Lord, and lead me home."

We recited together the 23rd Psalm and the Lord's Prayer. Following the singing of Amazing Grace, I delivered the following Commendation and Prayer: "Depart, O Christian soul, out of this world; In the name of God the Father Almighty who created you; In the name of Jesus Christ who redeemed you; In the name of the Holy Spirit who sanctifies you; May your rest be this day in peace, and your dwelling. place in the paradise of God.....Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend our brother, Tom, acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen We closed this formal service singing: "I'll Fly Away" Some glad morning when this life is o'er, I'll fly away. To a home on God's celestial shore, I'll fly away.  I'll fly away, O glory, I'll fly away; When I die, Hallelujah, by and by I'll fly away....When the shadows of this life have grown I'll fly away; Like a bird from prison bars has flown, I'll fly away. I'll fly away, O glory, I'll fly away; When I die, Hallelujah, by and by I'll fly away....Just a few more weary days and then I'll fly away; To a land where joys shall never end, I'll fly away; I'll fly away, O glory, I'll fly away; When I die, Hallelujah, by and by I'll fly away."

The nurse came in and requested we all leave so they could do all the procedures they needed to do We began a vigil that would last approximately 5 hours. Hanna and her sisters continued to sing old-timey gospel songs with a distinct Appalachian flavor that were just perfect and beautifully sung. They all seemed to be orchestrated by a Master Conductor that was the One truly in charge. Tom was stable at this time so we took shifts, getting something to eat and taking a break from the intensity of it all. Someone was always at his side, holding his hand or caressing his face. He slowly lost oxygen absorption which fuels and heart and at 7:16 pm his heart stopped. We gathered in a circle of prayer around his bed and commended him into the arms of God. Individuals had their opportunity to say goodbye and we left in peace.

Tom felt no pain, was never in distress and at some spiritual level knew exactly what was going on and embraced death with as much courage and passion as he embraced life.What was most difficult for my daughters, was that they could not help thinking that it could just as easily have been me on that bed, having lost my battle with cancer. This time together sharing the death of my brother will prepare them for whatever happens to Kriss and me in the future. We must teach our children not to be afraid to face the process of death and dying head on. God's promises in Scripture abound with affirmations like: "The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable, it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power, it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Cor. 15:42ff.

In the coming days there will be many details to be taken care of preparing for a Formal Celebration of Tom's Life in the Yakima Valley, coordinating with the VFW and American Legion, and arranging for the disposal of his cremains up at the cabin outside of Ellensburg. My sister Kathy and I are also Executors of his will and Estate, so that will take no little time. The tentative date for his services is over Memorial Day Weekend, which is fitting for his service to our nation and the Wapato Legion Community.

God was present and truly glorified in the manner in which my brother left this world. His chrysalis from a shell of a man to a resurrection body was a beautiful gift to us all. He said his Soft Goodbye and is now dancing in the streets of gold. Robin

1 comment:

  1. Robin -- my deepest condolences at the passing of your brother. I was stunned to read about it on Facebook. Since the last Reunion, I have reconnected with so many of our friends from Wapato! I've been away all these many years so I haven't been privy to all that goes on in the lives of those who have stayed in the area, but being on Facebook has added a new dimension. I accidentally discovered your blog and have been amazed and touched as I have seen through your eyes your busy and joyful life after high school. My heart has been so blessed as I have seen in your words your great love for God and his word. I have enjoyed so much the delightful way you have woven the scripture right into the stories you have told about your early years as well as the present trials as you deal with your health issues. I really am quite tickled at your command of the English language and forgotten how articulate you are. I've wracked my brain and cannot bring to mind any details that might have led me to believe that you would end up in the ministry. But God certainly called the right boy!! I am sure you have entertained and blessed many a congregation. It's been fun to read about Kriss and your children, although it's hard for me to imagine you a distinguished man of the cloth with 4 children who are all grown up. So... thank you so much for sharing and I am going to send my mother the web address. I am sure they would enjoy seeing how you turned out and I know they both would enjoy reading your blog. Again my sympathies to you and your entire family... I will be praying the Lord to give you that wonderful peace that passeth all understanding. Evajean (Blum) Blackstone

    ReplyDelete