Tuesday, February 22, 2011

YOUR BROTHER WILL RISE AGAIN!

Seattle, WA 40 degrees rain, sleet, hail and snow, sunny and calm

Over the course of the past five days I have been haunted by the constant thought, impression, spiritual conviction and the consciousness in my mind and on my lips: "Your brother will rise again!" Of course it is referring to my brother Tom, now three full weeks in intensive care here in Seattle in Harborview Hospital. A week ago, I believe I was mired in unbelief and looking for all the signs of his demise. He has had at least one bonafide stroke and possibly more. He is fighting a life threatening battle with Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome. He is on a medical roller coaster of good days and bad days, but like Hotel California, you can check in any time you want, but you can never get off. God convicted me of my sin of disbelief. I have been hearing those words: "Your brother will rise again!"so urgently, that three days ago I went into his room and opened one of his eyelids and spoke directly and powerfully to him what God put on my heart.

You see, Tom is just in the early stages of faith and faith development. He has been here in Seattle at  my bedside during the preparation for my stem cell transplant and we have had a lot of time to share spiritual truths. He was baptized the same day I was in a cattle trough filled with water in the Disciples of Christ Church in Wapato, WA by immersion by Rev. Joseph Dixon of the Community Presbyterian Church. Mom had been raised Disciples of Christ and immersion baptism was the only truly biblical form acceptable. We both took the membership classes at the Community Presbyterian Church and were enrolled as members in good standing. Some seeds lie in soil years before they sprout, take root and flourish. The good seed of faith sown in Tom's heart those many years ago had sprouted and was just beginning to emerge when he was struck down with his current medical crisis. Isn't it just like the enemy to attack the very youngest of the flock, exactly like the roaring lion scripture depicts. I am rebuking through God's Spirit the attacks of that enemy and I would covet your warrior-like chants for his deliverance and survival. Every day now when I go into his room I am girded for spiritual warfare. I am wearing the same clothes, like the Priest ministering at the alter. I perform a ritual of anointing and conversation, the very same each day so Tom will recognize who I am and slowly reach out from the depth of his unconsciousness and rise again. God has just started the process of transforming Tom into the image of Christ, as with all of us. He is a gifted and beloved man already. Just imagine what God can and will do with another Lazarus running around. In a loud voice Jesus called:"Lazarus come out!" Jesus told them to take off the grave clothes and set him free. I believe we will see that same miracle happen for my brother in the coming days and weeks. The promise of Jesus to Martha still stands: "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" That's the real question in life for all of us isn't it? If Jesus is the resurrection and the life, then all our failures, stupidities, dysfunction and sin can be confronted face to face and in the presence of the Risen One, we can come forth from our tombs and be set free.  Robin             P.S. I'll see how long Kriss lets me wear those same clothes to the hospital every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment