Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Going Home

My father died today. Those of you who have lost a parent know how difficult this is. You understand the enormous hole you feel in your soul. I am now among the "fatherless". We met with the doctors yesterday and discussed the future of his treatment. The prognosis for recovering from his pneumonia was only about 20%. The only way to determine what was really causing the pneumonia was a surgical procedure to take a sample of lung tissue. In order to do this, they would need to intubate him and he might not come off the ventilator. This was not an acceptable treatment for us. My dad had walked with too many families who had to make the terrible decision about terminating treatment and "pull the plug" on a loved-one. He always told us that he never wanted that situation. Especially after walking through that situation only months ago with my Uncle Tom, it was not something he was willing to go through. The doctors were a little surprised at our answer, but in the end, we made the correct choice. My Aunt Kathy is here and she stayed the night with him in the hospital. He called us at 4am and asked us to come back so that he could say goodbye. Aunt Kathy said he spent a good deal of the night talking and praying. He was making peace with his Lord. When we arrived, he told me that I would have to do the services (for him and my uncle). I told him I would be fine. It would be what he wanted. He just couldn't think about it right then. He told mom he loved her. "Tell the kids I love them. Tell the congregation I love them." We said we would. Then he said, "All for the glory of God."

This was the theme of his life. Everything to the glory of God his Father Almighty. My father was not perfect. He was impatient and quick to get angry. But he loved Jesus. He wanted everyone he met to know and love Jesus, too. He was a good man. And now he is resting in the arms of Jesus. Thank you for loving my dad. Thank you for your words of encouragement. In the most difficult days of his life he looked to you, his readers, for encouragement and purpose. He wanted to know that he left a legacy. His legacy is in you. Make a difference in the lives of others. Share Jesus with those around you.

8 comments:

  1. Robin has pastored so many for so long in our community ~ sometimes without them even realizing they were being pastored ~ and he will be missed immensely. He just had a way of connecting with people and we are all better for knowing him. He was more concerned about others than himself and he is definitely leaving a legacy. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Hanna. I'm grateful for your words. I am preaching this sunday about the legacy of faith left to us by those who have gone before. I will be remembering and praying for you and your family as I prepare and preach. And I will be praying for you as you lead the service of celebration for your father and uncle.
    You, too, and your family are held in Jesus' care. May you feel HIS love and presence in each moment.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci, Professeur Robinson.

    He was the most outgoing, crazy instructor I had at Whitman during my first year back in the fall of 1990. He was teaching Intermediate French. When he visited Stephanie, Peter, and Tammy and I in Pomona, Calif. during an urban mission stint years later I was able to experience him in a more complete way. It became clear where the joy had come from all along.

    Merci, Professuer, Merci.

    John Weston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing . You all have been a big part of so many peoples lives, for that , I am grateful.
    I'm praying for you and your family for continued comfort that only the Lord can provide at a time like this.
    We will miss Pastor Robin so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peterson family, I am so sorry to hear about robin. As you all know he has been a very important part in my life and my familys. I cannot express the hurt i am feeling right now of the loss of your father and husband. He was a very strong, supportive, hard working man. From my grandparents funerals, to being at my bediside when i was in the hospital to just being there and supportive no matter what I was going through, I always knew i could call him. I lost the most important person in my life grandma peggy, 2 years ago and robin was there for me and my family the whole way. I want you to know how sorry i am for your loss and may time heal the pain....take care ya all...Candice Mcdole

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost my dad to cancer 10 years ago and still miss him terribly. I loved Robin and laughed at his sense of humor remembering my dad. I looked at his blog every day and completely enjoyed learning more about him and his love for Jesus and his family. Words cannot describe how he will be missed. My thoughts and prayers continue for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peterson Family: We will pray for your comfort and peace. The whole community and our Family was touch by Robins love and care. He will be missed so very much. He leaves us with the words that Jesus spoke so often about Grace, Mercy and Love. We know that nothing can separate us from the love of the Father.... God's grace is sufficient.... In everything you do ...do it to Glorify God. New mercies every morning...... To God be the Glory! We must carry on without him and it will be hard but I know he taught us to be Sur-thrivers. Now we just need to grieve for awhile. God's peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is plenty of room for you in my Father's home. If that weren't so, would I have told you that I'm on my way to get a room ready for you? And if I'm on my way to get your room ready, I'll come back and get you so you can live where I live. (John 14:2-3 MSG)

    To live where He lives, that is the goal we all are looking forward to and Robin has reached that goal ahead of us. We can rejoice with Robin!

    Another one of the Peterson boys is enjoying heaven. To God be the glory - now and forever!

    ReplyDelete