Saturday, April 23, 2011

EASTER FACE TO FACE!

We have been in Respiratory Isolation at the U of W Medical Center for the last 15 days. It matches the same time we were here post transplant. We had hoped to be released on Good Friday, but I am still battling life-threatening complications. Something as simple as a common cold can trigger a domino effect of other transplant related medical conditions. We just had a visit from two Drs. from the infectious disease department. It was both sobering and encouraging. They were very honest with us about the possibility of things spiraling out of control and that I could die from these complications. However, they see lots of positive results from a new chest X-Ray this morning and feel like it is just time and vigilant care that will turn the tide. Being here over Easter makes me feel like I am going through my own version of Calvary. The Apostle’s Creed affirms that Jesus descended into Hell between Friday night and Easter morning. I Peter describes what He did over those three days. He proclaimed the hope of the Gospel and led a train of believers out of the darkness of despair and into the light of life.

My best estimate is that I will be in the Hospital for at least another week. I have to get to the point where I have an appetite and can consume enough calories to sustain myself and get the diarrhea I have under control. I have just passed the 50 lb. weight loss mark since I arrived for transplant. I don’t know how much more I can lose and have any strength left. I am weaker than I have ever been in my life and it is very difficult to consistently exercise. I have a great physical therapist, working with me as much as he is able, but ultimately, I have to make the effort myself on a daily basis. Being in isolation makes it that much more difficult, since I cannot walk the halls like I did the first time I was here.

God continues to sustain us through your love, letters and support. We simply would not be able to face all of this without your unconditional love and God’s faithfulness. I was very frustrated and discouraged on Friday. One of the Drs. actually signed discharge papers early in the morning, only to cancel them before noon. It was the correct medical decision, but it is just an example of the roller coaster we seem to be on. I am learning how to be more patient and trust God for each day. My life is not in my hands and I pray that God will bless all of you with a wonderful resurrection weekend. We will be home in God’s time and look forward to seeing all of you. Robin and Kriss

5 comments:

  1. I wanted to hear your voice today and found your blog - a blessing indeed. You have been in my thoughts and prayers old friend. Best, Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried maccaroon cookies for your nausea and diarrhea?? Glenda John mentioned that it had worked for someone she knew. I'm sure the Dr's have already suggested it, but thought I'd pass it on. Still keep your whole family in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying daily and we are looking forward to having you home. Love Mike and Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, not a day goes by that we don't think and pray for you and your family. Faith and patience will get you through this. I just can't wait to see your smile, sure do miss it around here...:) Take care and stay rested.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete